This event is SOLD OUT! You can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to be put on the waitlist.
Wednesday, August 23rd from 6:30pm - 9:30pm
San Francisco Center for the Book, San Francisco
WORKSHOP DETAILS: Beginner Brush Script Lettering
What will you learn?
• This introductory workshop focuses on script lettering styles and how to find your own personal style.
• You’ll learn the basic strokes needed to gain control of the brush to create various script lettering as well as working with the paint consistency and flow.
• See inspiring demonstrations of Barbara's master brush skills.
• Barbara will assist everyone to make sure they feel comfortable holding and manipulating the brush and encourage you to develop your own individuality when lettering with a brush.
Who is this for?
• Anyone and everyone who has an interest in lettering! We’ll be starting with the basics so we can achieve a good understanding of brush lettering techniques. Complete beginners welcome. No experience necessary!
What will you take away?
• Your very own Brush Lettering Kit including a special lettering brush, visual diary and practice guides, all in a personalised folder hand lettered by Barbara.
• All of your work from the day plus a final project demonstrating your skills.
• Lots of hands-on experience under one-on-one guidance from a master letterer to inspire your ongoing practice.
• A day of switching off from the computer, hearing Barbara’s fascinating lettering stories and insights, making new friends, and discussion about how to make a career out of lettering.
• A US$100 discount to learnbrushlettering.com, and the private Facebook group, so you can continue your practice at home after the workshop with 12 days of videos and 35 guidesheets.
• Rad new skills to show off to your friends on Instagram.
Barbara Enright is an illustrious Australian lettering artist and calligrapher, beginning her career as a Showcard and Ticket Writer in the late 1960s. She produced thousands of show cards and tickets for Myer Melbourne, Grace Bros. and other retail outlets in Sydney, all created by hand with the brush. She then started her own sign and screen printing studio producing retail and promotional signage that operated for over 20 years. Barbara is a seasoned teacher, having taught numerous ticket writing and calligraphy classes both privately and technical education institutions.
As NSW President and National Coordinator of the Australian Sign and Graphics Association during the years of 2001-2007, Barbara helped to revive the membership which included regional meetings and lobbied educational institutions for industry standards.
Barbara’s enthusiasm for lettering is contagious and she is thrilled to hear that lettering is making a huge comeback in the design scene and wants to pass on her years of experience to fellow lettering nerds and type aficionados.
Carla is a Melbourne based lettering artist. She hand-crafts lettering for a range of clients in the creative industries, including fashion, music, food, branding, retail, hospitality, editorial and conferences. After studying graphic design at university and six years’ working at some of Australia’s top agencies in Sydney, Carla escaped to Berlin to soak up some international inspiration and nurture her love of lettering and artisan design. On returning from what she affectionately calls her “Bowie years” in Germany, Carla set up her studio with the aim of bringing a warm, unique, human element to a world dominated by digital fonts and design.
Her love affair with the brush has inspired her to pass on the skill by running regular brush lettering workshops all over Australia with her mentor, former showcard and ticket writer Barbara Enright. In 2016, they successfully launched an online course called ‘Learn Brush Lettering’ teaching the skill to hundreds of students around the globe.
In 2016, Carla banded together with an all-girl lettering group called The Letterettes who pop up at events to create live lettering.
We understand that life happens, please communicate proactively about not being able to attend the event so we can give your seat to someone else. Tickets are fully refundable up to 72 hours before the event. If you're unable to attend and give notice after the 72 hour window has passed, you will be issued a refund only if we are able to fill your seat. No refund will be given after the event date has passed. Tickets are transferable.