Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Austin, TX at Companion (next to Wright Bros. Brew and Brew)
Goodtype is excited to present "Freelance Isn't Free" with Drew Lakin. A workshop focused on the business side of being a freelance creative. A course for those who are considering going freelance or have already gone freelance and are overwhelmed by all that comes with working for yourself.
This workshop will take the guesswork out of all that comes with freelancing and give you the knowledge and skills to kickstart your self-made creative career with confidence.
The workshop will cover:
• The scope of a project and how to use brand questionnaires for clients
• How to efficiently execute project timelines and scheduling
• How to properly address finances and pricing i.e. project bids and hourly vs. set pricing
• Contracts and getting paid- protecting yourself and the client
• Briefs: learning your narrative and positioning and implementing your visuals
• Explorations in extending the brand, presenting your work and appropriately navigating options and revisions
• Final deliverables i.e. handing off files, getting paid, brand style guides and retainers
• Promoting yourself and creating a good work environment
• and more...
Please bring your laptop or iPad (fully charged) for the interactive exercises and note taking.
Snacks and refreshments will be provided.
Drew is a Texas native, whose fascination with album cover art and DIY mentality, forged a path into the design world. A self taught screen printer and musician, he’s no stranger to finding different avenues to push his creative energy. He has co-operated a small brand studio, Sturdy, worked with Helms Workshop and as an Art Director at Guerilla Suit. Drew is a seasoned freelance creative with a ton of spectacular and successful projects under his belt. When he’s not slangin' pixels, you can find him somewhere outdoors, adding jalapeños to everything or shredding at a local dive bar.
Class is limited to only 30 participants.
We understand that life happens, please communicate proactively about not being able to attend the event so we can give your seat to someone else. Tickets are fully refundable up to 72 hours before the event. If you're unable to attend and give notice after the 72 hour window has passed, you will be issued a refund only if we are able to fill your seat. No refund will be given after the event date has passed. Tickets are transferable.